How Has US Currency Changed Over the Years?

How Has US Currency Changed Over the Years?Source: Pexels

The currency of the United States has undergone many changes since the first two-dollar bill was issued in 1776. Therefore, there is some common misinformation spread about what some United States currency is made of since the answer has changed over the years. Here are two examples of coins that were once made differently.

1. Nickels

Nickels are the most egregiously named coin in United States history. As the name suggests, nickels are composed of nickel, however, they are made of 75% copper leaving only 25% to be made of nickel. Nickels minted during World War II are even worse, as they contain no nickel at all. Instead, they were made of copper, silver, and manganese. Nickel Houston TX was very valuable for many reasons during that time, and the United States government thought it would be best to remove nickel from nickels and use it for other purposes. However, today, nickels are once again composed of 25% nickel.

2. Pennies

Many people naturally assume that pennies are made of copper, and until 1837, that was true. Back then, pennies were made entirely from copper. After that, they introduced a bit of tin and zinc into the mix, but pennies remained mostly composed of copper until 1982 when the United States government began minting pennies made of 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper. Copper prices have been dramatically rising over the years, while zinc prices have remained relatively stagnant. The price of copper might have impacted the decision to reduce the amount of copper included in pennies.

The economic climate and prices of raw materials have a massive impact on what currencies worldwide are composed of. Mints have produced billions of coins and bills in the years since they have been active, so mints need huge amounts of materials to do what they do.